- The largest, most flexible living-learning program in the Honors College
- A community with instant friendships and a sense of belonging
- Top students and faculty from every major
- A limitless selection of enriched courses
- Full of peer leadership and academic award opportunities
- A way to be instantly plugged in to the best of the University and Washington, DC
University Honors is designed to bring the most academically talented students and the most outstanding faculty members together in intimate, challenging seminars.
- Understanding of how to locate information and think critically about the big questions—contemporary and perennial—that confront individuals and society
- Professional quality written and oral communication skills
- Critical understanding of the relationships between the humanities, arts, and sciences, and society
- Appreciation of different modes of scholarship in the university
- Competitiveness in applications for prestigious scholarships, graduate and professional schools, and jobs
- Skills, habits, and the ethical framework to be productive and be compassionate global citizens who contribute to positive change
The University of Maryland is auspiciously positioned to provide an exceptionally wide variety of courses in every field, access to exceptional research and internship experiences, and endless cultural and social opportunities.
The University’s beautiful campus features incredible resources such as the stunning Clarice Smith Center for the Performing Arts, loads of specialized research facilities, the really impressive campus recreation center AND the nearby advantages of Metro DC! The Washington Metropolitan area offers access to a bonanza of research and internship experiences. In addition to the scholarly resources of the Library of Congress, National Archives, and museum collections, loads of research institutions such as the National Institutes of Health, the Smithsonian Institution, and the Folger Shakespeare Library, are located within easy commuting distance for students electing to explore research.
Additionally, nearly every business, foundation, branch of government, broadcasting company, trade group, professional organization has an office, if not its headquarters, in the DC area, and are eager for undergraduate interns. Internships during the academic year, winter term, or summer session provide excellent opportunities to test drive both your education and your interests in addition to building your résumé.